A couple who intends to be married in New York State must apply in person for a marriage license to any town or city clerk in the state. The application for a license must be signed by both the bride and groom in the presence of the town or city clerk. A representative cannot apply for the license on behalf of the bride or groom. This applies even if the representative has been given the Power of Attorney. Notarized marriage license affidavits signed by the bride or groom cannot be substituted for their personal appearance.

How to get a New York City marriage license
The couple (both groom and bride) must apply in person for a marriage license at any of borough offices of the City Clerk of New York. There is an Affidavit (Application) you have to fill out (Please Print) before applying for the marriage license. So bring a black ink pen just in case the pens there don't work. The Affidavit (Application) must be completed that same day and must be signed by both the bride and groom. Remember this is a legal document, so avoid mistakes (typos). Below you fill find the location for all the borough offices.

Manhattan Office
City Clerk
Clerk of the Council
141 Worth Street
New York, NY 10013
Phone (212) 669-2400
Bronx Office
Deputy City Clerk
Supreme Court Building
851 Grand Concourse
Bronx, New York 10451
Phone (718) 590-5307
Brooklyn Office
Deputy City Clerk
Municipal Building
210 Joralemon Street
2nd Floor, Room 205
Brooklyn, New York 11201
Phone (718) 802-4107
Queens Office
Deputy City Clerk
Borough Hall Building
120-55 Queens Blvd.
Kew Gardens, New York 11424
Phone (718) 286-2846
Staten Island Office
Deputy City Clerk
Borough Hall Building
10 Richmond Terrace
3rd Floor, Room 311
Staten Island, New York 10301
Phone (718) 816-2290

• Talk to me about the cost?
The marriage license will costs $35. It is payable by money order or debit or credit card. You can even apply for it online.

• How soon can you get married once you have the marriage license?
The marriage license is issued the same day you apply for it; however the marriage ceremony may not take place within 24 hours from the exact time that the license was issued.

• How long is the marriage license valid or good for?
A marriage license is valid for 60 days, beginning the day after it is issued. That's 2 months, so plan accordingly.

• Any Previous Marriages?
If you have previous marriages make sure you provide all information regarding those previous marriages - most importantly, the degree date.

• Where can a Marriage Ceremony take place?
The marriage license obtained from the City Clerks Office of New York can only be used within New York State only. If you plan on having a marriage or wedding ceremony at sea you must be at least 5 miles of the coast of New York to be considered part of New York's border.

• What about the Marriage Ceremony?
No actual ceremony is required, just that the couple must be in the presence of an authorized member of a registered clergy or public official and at least one witness, eighteen years old or older to be present for the exchange of vows. You don't even need rings!

• Who can perform a Marriage Ceremony?
Very important section here - so pay attention. To be valid, a marriage ceremony must be performed by any of the individuals specified in Section 11 of the New York State
Domestic Relations Law. These include:

1) The mayor of a city or village;

2) The city clerk or one of the deputy city clerks of a city of more than one million inhabitants;

3) A justice or judge of the following courts: the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern or Western Districts of New York, the NYS Court of Appeals, the Appellate Division of the NYS Supreme Court, the NYS Supreme Court, the Court of Claims, the Family Court, a Surrogates Court, the Civil and Criminal Courts of New York City (including Housing Judges of the Civil Court) and other courts of record;

4) A member of the clergy or minister who has been officially ordained and granted authority to perform marriage ceremonies from a governing church body in accordance with the rules and regulations of the church body;

5) A member of the clergy or minister who is not authorized by a governing church body but who has been chosen by a spiritual group to preside over their spiritual affairs;

6) Other officiants as specified by Section 11 of the Domestic Relations Law;
The person performing the marriage ceremony must be registered with the City of New York in order to perform a marriage ceremony within the New York City limits. The officiant does not have to be a resident of New York State. Ship captains are not authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in New York State.)